Motorcycle and Moped Insurance

Your Motorcycle is an important part of your life –  purchasing the right Insurance for your Motorcycle is a very important part to giving you peace of mind on the road.  

Why Do You Need It

If you wish to drive your motorcycle/moped on the road, you will need to purchase at the minimum Basic Autopac coverage. The policy is designed to stay in force for the entire year as you are only charged for use during the typical driving season (May 1 to September 30). This does not prevent you from driving it outside the riding season, but you are not charged for this coverage. There is no need to change the insurance to storage/lay-up coverage, however you continue to have this coverage for the entire year (based on the coverages that you decide to purchase).



Motorcycle – Definition

A Motorcycle can have either two tandem wheels or three wheels. Mopeds and Scooters which have an engine size of over 50cc or max speed of over 50 km/hr must be insured as Motorcycles.

For the purposes of determining the premium, Autopac breaks these motorcycles into five categories which include:

– Sport

– Touring

– Sport Touring

– Motorscooter

– Other

Motorcycles – There is no Collector Insurance Use for motorcycles, however you can request to simply add/change your plate if you prefer the collector plate on your motorcycle. In order to qualify the motorcycle which is at least 25 years old and the motorcycle must be have a declared value of over $4,000, however no appraisal is required.


Moped – Definition

A Moped can have either two tandem wheels or three wheels. A Traditional Moped had pedals and a motor, but the pedals are not required to be considered a moped. In order to qualify, it must have:

– Wheels larger than 250mm

– Maximum engine displacement of 50cc or have an electric motor

– Maximum speed 50km/hr

Note: If the moped is over 50cc or has a maximum speed of over 50 km/hr it must be insured as a motorcycle.

How Much Coverage do you need?

When you insure a Motorcycle or Moped, you are asked to select a Declared Value which is the limit of coverage that you require. This is the maximum amount that will be paid out in the event of physical damage to your motorcycle/moped (ie. total loss). The premium will be more as you select a higher declared value. It’s important to understand that selecting a declared value, does not provide any guarantee to the amount you will get paid.

What’s Covered?

Coverage for Moped/Motorcycles includes the same liability and collision coverage that you get with a vehicle, however it DOES NOT INCLUDE COVERAGE FOR COMPREHENSIVE CLAIMS.


Basic Autopac for a Motorcycles includes coverage for Collision ONLY.

Collision coverage will pay for the cost of repairing damage to your own vehicle, which occurs from a vehicle collision.


Choosing the Right Deductible for you…

Type of Claim Motorcycle Collision Deductible
Basic Autopac Autopac Extension Optional Deductible Packages
Collision Deductible – MOTORCYCLE $750 $500 $300 $200
Collision and upset $750 $500 $300 $200
Collision with animal $750 $0 $0 $0
Glass repair $750 $0 $0 $0
Collision Deductible – MOPED $225 N/A N/A N/A
Collision and upset $225
Collision with animal $225
Glass Repair $750


Loss of Use

If your motorcycle is damaged or stolen, it could take some time to get it fixed. You could be waiting for Autopac to review and approve the claim, waiting for the auto body shop to order parts and to have time to schedule you in for the repair work. In the meantime, your vehicle may not be driveable.

Loss of Use coverage will pay for the cost of alternative transportation. You can use this to pay for the rental of a motorcycle or moped or alternatively can use it to rent a car and if you end up not renting a replacement, you can also use it to pay for a taxi or bus.

Basic Autopac will ONLY provide loss of use if your vehicle is stolen. If you are involved in a Collision, you may be entitled to get back the cost of a rental vehicle under the other party’s liability coverage, however they must be considered 100% at fault. The problem can be that you must incur the expense and hope that Autopac will determine that the other party is at fault, since there is no guarantee they will find this way, you could be stuck paying the bill yourself.

By purchasing the OPTIONAL loss of use coverage, you can get coverage when you have a Collision to the motorcycle/moped regardless of fault and you can have the coverage without the 72 hour waiting period. If you purchase the optional Comprehensive coverage, then the loss of use would extend to cover non-collision claims.

The maximum amount of coverage is $135.00 per day to a total maximum of $4,050.00


Basic Autopac for moped and motorcycles would include $500,000 of Liability coverage. Liability will cover if someone sues you as a result of your Vehicle ownership or use.

Bodily Injury – In Manitoba if you are injured in a moped/motorcycle accident whether you are the driver or passenger, you are entitled to collect under P.I.P.P. benefits, however you cannot sue the at fault party for injuries.

Reider Insurance recommends that clients purchase a minimum of $2,000,000 Liability if the moped/motorcycle will remain in Manitoba and recommend $10,000,000 if the moped/motorcycle will go outside the province. If the moped/motorcycle will go to the United States – even if it’s only one trip per year, we recommend the $10,000,000 limit.

get a quote

*  Please note all types of policies have exclusions, conditions and limitations.  This information is not intended to be a full explanation of coverages and in all cases the wording of the actual insurance policy will apply.