Motorhome Insurance

Your Motorhome is an important part of your life –  purchasing the right Insurance for your Motorhome is a very important part to giving you peace of mind on the road.  

Why Do You Need It

If your vehicle meets the definition of being a motorhome (see description below), then you are required to have the vehicle plated and insured through Autopac as a Motorhome.

If you are renting a Motorhome that you do not own, we can get you coverage for the vehicle and liability, rather than purchasing from the rental company. The cost is usually a considerable savings over purchasing from the rental company. This policy takes time to get and we need to get an application and get working on this ahead of time and recommend you contact us a minimum of one week ahead of your trip.


A Motor home is a motor vehicle designed to provide living accommodations.

MUST have:

– Access between driver’s seat and living quarters

– Bed*

In addition MUST have one of the following:

– Stove*

– Fridge*

– Sink and Toilet*

*The beds and other requirements above must be permanently installed.

The vehicle does not have to look like a typical motorhome, it can include vans as long as it meets the above criteria.

It is usually less expensive to insure a motorhome than to insure a car. If you wish to convert a vehicle so that it could be registered and insured as a motorhome, as long as it meets the requirements above it will be plated as a Motorhome. If you want to plate a vehicle but not as a motorhome, you will need to remove at minimum one of the permanently installed items so that the vehicle no longer meets the definition of Motorhome.

How Much Coverage do you need?

When you insure a motorhome, you are asked to select a Declared Value which is the limit of coverage that you require. This is the maximum amount that will be paid out in the event of physical damage to your motorhome (ie. total loss). The premium will be more as you select a higher declared value. It’s important to understand that selecting a declared value does not provide any guarantee to the amount you will get paid.

What’s Covered?

Motorhomes have the same Autopac coverage that is provided to cars, with the ONLY difference being that the maximum amount payable is based on the declared value selected.


If you have an anti-theft device (which includes immobilizing systems, car alarms, anti-theft bars) in your vehicle and it is defeated, Autopac will reduce your deductible in half if theft of the entire vehicle occurs.

Choosing the Right Deductible for you…

Type of Claim Motorhome Deductible
Basic Autopac Autopac Extension Optional Deductible Packages
Deductible $500 $300 $200 $100
Collision or Upset, Fire, Hail, Lightning and theft of vehicle parts $500 $300 $200 $100
Glass Replacement $500 $300 $200 $100
Theft or Attempted Theft of Vehicle $500 $300 $0 $0
If you have Anti-Theft Device $250 $150 $0 $0
Glass Repair $500 $0 $0 $0
Collision with Animal $500 $0 $0 $0
Vandalism $500 $300 $0 $0



Liability coverage on Motorhomes is the same coverage as provided by Autopac to cars.

It is likely that the motorhome will go out of the province and we recommend purchasing the $10,000,000 limit on all motorhomes.

get a quote

*  Please note all types of policies have exclusions, conditions and limitations.  This information is not intended to be a full explanation of coverages and in all cases the wording of the actual insurance policy will apply.